Solutions for Judges
SCRAM helps judges better assess individual offenders and issue fair sentences while better protecting the public.
As a judge, you’re in the precarious position of figuring out how to balance fair sentencing with the need to protect the public. While you may want to give your alcohol offenders the benefit of the doubt that they’re staying sober as directed, it’s hard to know for sure what they’re doing unless you monitor them around the clock.
And then there’s community risk you must consider. The harsh reality for many offenders is that, even if they’re sentenced to jail time, many are getting out quickly and are going right back to offending. What if one of your offenders continues drinking – and the next time gets behind the wheel and kills someone?
Judges need an effective way to not only end the revolving door cycle in their courtrooms, but also a solution that can really help offenders overcome their addictions and become productive members of the community.
This is where SCRAM can help.
SCRAM helps judges take a firm—yet fair—stance on DUI and other alcohol-related crime through continuous alcohol monitoring. With the complete 24/7 data on offender drinking patterns that SCRAM provides, you can conclusively determine which offenders are being compliant with the terms of their sentences or probations—and can also more reliably assess those who need additional assistance. And because SCRAM makes offenders continuously accountable for their actions, they’re no longer able to drink around random testing events.
SCRAM lets judges:
- Gauge offender drinking patterns more effectively
- Assess levels of addiction to appropriately tailor fair and individualized sentences
- Be more confident in giving offenders the benefit of the doubt
- Better balance the offender’s needs with the directive to protect the public
- Provide a viable alternative to jail, so offenders can maintain jobs and contribute positively to the community
- Protect public safety at no cost to taxpayers (offender pay model)